Monday, January 27, 2003

Today I received a note from an old friend in the mail. I was a little startled; we were really good friends a few years ago, but things happened, as they tend to, and we hardly see each other anymore but once every few months or so per a chance meeting in the mall or a crossing of paths in the street. Funny how things play with you like that.
Fate, it seems, is not without a sense of irony, and I imagine sometimes that time moves along a path through a little minefield. Everyone hits mines at some point and all goes crazy for a few moments -- you lose a friend, win accolades, have a car accident, have a baby, get a new job or lose the old one -- all these things, good or bad, flip our lives upside down and in the chaotic aftermath we sit there and wonder, "Just what was that all about?"
So putting the note on my desk I stared at it for a moment, not really sure what to think; then, dazed, I turned to the pile of work waiting to be attended.
Maybe I'll deal with it when the dust has settled a little bit.

No comments: